Hampton Bowling Club
Hampton Bowling Club was formed on the 19 April 1928. In 2008 we celebrated our 80th anniversary, after a meeting was held at Hampton Social Club. Hampton UDC laid down the green, in the new recreation ground on Wensleydale Road. Fourteen men attended the meeting and Hampton Bowling Club was born. The club membership subscription was five shillings (Twenty-five pence in today’s money) and the green fees were four old pence (1.7 pence) per player, including use of woods and shoes. The green was not ready for bowling until August so the first season was very short. Application to Middlesex Bowling Association was made to be affiliated and this was granted in due course.
In 1929, the first full season, the membership rose
to 54 playing members and 6 honorary members. This was despite
the fact that there was no pavilion or clubhouse. Eighteen
matches were played however no Club championship was completed.
This was due to the
In 1930 the club amalgamated with Hampton Municipal
Bowling Club and
On the 9 July 1932 a match was played against the
The numbers of members fluctuated until in 1938 there were 58 and a cup was purchased for a Singles Handicap Competition. This was the beginning of the Club Championship. An Honours Board was produced and all the Presidents, Captains and Club Champions from 1928 were listed on the board. This was initially hung in the cricket pavilion, as there was only the open shelter for the bowlers.
During World War II the club continued to play
matches, with gas masks at the ready. The membership was reduced
to 22 in 1940; but by 1944 it was up to 53. In 1941 the list of
the membership showed the name of a Mr. W. J. Hutton. This is
the name of a club trophy that is the prize for a competition
that is in existence today, and is known as the Hutton Cup. Mr.
W. J. Hutton held the position of Hon. Secretary for over 20